Sunday, February 10, 2008

Getting the NHL On-board

There is an article on ESPN's web site (also referring to a really interesting video from CBC's Fifth Estate on Chris Benoit), calling on the NHL to "embrace concussion research":
"If the NHL proposed a study or investigation for such an effect, I'd be first in line," Keith Primeau, a 15-year NHL veteran who retired in 2006 because of post-concussion symptoms that still pop up from time to time in his life... "For me, for the day-to-day [post-concussion effects], I think I'm over the worst of it. I've been feeling really good in the last four months. It's been the most comfortable I've been in some time."
Referring to the possible long-term implications of his concussions, Primeau says:
"I've resigned myself to the fact I'm always going to have [symptoms] to deal with, and I hope that they'll be very intermittent, as they've started to become. But I know I'll always have these setbacks. They are a reminder of exactly the price I've paid."

"[Non-concussed players] can't possibly comprehend the severity and long-term ramifications of head injuries... as a sufferer, even I don't know what the ramifications are. I believe at some point in my life there's going to be a consequence; I just hope it's later rather than sooner."
While the NHL has a mandatory concussion testing program, there has never been any data released or published, although it is not known if the blame lies with the NHL or the NHL Players Association.