Sunday, January 27, 2008

Concussion Stories

It seems like there are more and more news articles mentioning concussion every day. Many of these articles appear to be reporting old news or how concussion testing is becoming more common, such as this story, though:
"...says the Panthers also took extra precaution when it came to a concussion. Every player with Carolina would have to take a computer test that measured your memorization and reaction time to a series of questions, and they'd write down your score... after you had a concussion, you had to take that test again. Until your score was back up to your original score, you didn't play."
Or this story about a baseball player with post-concussion syndrome 2 years after hitting his head:
"Koskie has suffered from postconcussion syndrome since he was hurt on July 5, 2006, while backpedaling to catch a popup... the symptoms lasted for months, and the Milwaukee medical staff thought he was experiencing anxiety or that the problem was in part mental... Koskie, who estimates he'd had anywhere from 8-15 mild concussions in his professional career, remembers feeling so tired for so long.

"I look back and say to myself, 'I decided to do that?' " he said. "I wasn't thinking properly. You think at the time you're OK, but then when you get tested and your cognitive skills are so poor, you realize in what kind of shape you're in.
And this article about the process a high school football player experienced recovering from a concussion last season:
"As he walked off the field with his teammates for halftime, he said, he knew things weren't right.

"I felt like I was in a cartoon," the senior receiver said. "I couldn't remember where I put my helmet. I put down my helmet and couldn't find it"... during the game he "felt silly" and was "cracking jokes." Everything was humorous, he said. Afterward, things weren't so funny. Hopkins suffered headaches and nausea after the game and went to the emergency room.

To compound his head injury, Hopkins was involved in a car accident in which his head hit a window. His concussion worsened. He had taken the ImPACT test once after his concussion on the football field. A week later he took it again.

"I did really bad" ... he did finally return to the field for the final two games. "It was another piece of reference I could bring to my neurologist. It gave me an idea how bad the injury really was. It really gave me an idea where I stood."